[pianotech] muffler rail

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 7 11:29:13 MST 2013

Hi Rex,Thanks for the tips about the spring.  If I remember correctly, the spring is connected to a hole that is on the bracket with the "J".  The customer said it "broke" some time before I arrived. So I'm thinking the spring was stretched already.  I'm going to go ahead and get a new one for them.  When I hooked up the spring correctly, it wants to allow the rail to flip in the wrong direction.  I'm sure I hooked it up correctly because I found the hole in both the metal piece on the side of the piano and the bracket with the "J".  The rail itself doesn't connect to the spring but has a pin on the right side which goes into a hole on the side of the piano and on the left sits on a long  threaded bolt To unhook you don' t have to undo the spring, just unscrew a round nut I guess and lift the rai off the threaded bolt and pull the rail out of the right side of the piano.  So that's why I think the spring was bad from the beginning because I didn't unhook it until later to examine it and noticed that it was messed up in the middle like a broken slinky and had a lot of play in it very spongy and stretchy.  Hopefully this will clear things up. I know I sound like I'm on the wrong track, but this is best way to describe this thing. ThanksMarshall

Marshall Gisondi
MARSHALL'S PIANO SERVICE
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com