[pianotech] Square Grand Sound Clips THAT WORK!

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 14:16:23 MST 2013

Thanks for the compliments David. Coming from you makes me feel very good about what I was able to do with this square.

Your comments on the C3 are spot-on. I bought this piano at the Carnival Cruise Line warehouse in Miami - it had come directly off one of their cruise ships. I have not touched it at all since buying it - well, except to move the darn thing out of my way! So yes, it is untuned, unvoiced, etc., etc. I acknowledge that I was being a tad deceitful with my comparison. However, I do think that even if the Yamaha was straightened up a good bit, the square would still sound pretty darn nice!

Not a big team was involved with the square, but they did play some key roles. Ron Nossaman did the string scaling, Joe Garrett helped me with a number of technical points, Ray Negron made the set of hammers and Kiri Ramdeo, a student at University of South Florida here in Tampa did the artwork on the plate.

I should perhaps add that Ray really came through for me on the hammer set. This piano had some "rebuilding" done to it some years ago (guess is about 40 yrs. ago). Included in that work was a new set of hammers. These things looked like the product of a kindergarten class project - they were all hacked up, many only hitting one string of the note, some hitting wrong notes, etc. We based the boring angles on that set of hammers - we made the assumption that the hacked hammers at least reflected the original boring angles (not a smart thing to do). It was impossible to make the first set of hammers that Ray made work - they all required WAY to much trimming to make them function. Ray very graciously offered to make me a second set of hammers at no cost to me that would be based on a set of boring angles I calculated. The second set ended up working perfectly - some minor trimming, but nothing radical. Ray was quite the pleasure to work with on this.

Below is a picture of the replacement hammers that were on the piano from the 40-years-ago "rebuilding" - and these aren't even the really bad ones!: