[pianotech] Replacement Hammer Suggestions

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Feb 12 06:10:16 MST 2013

I'm looking for input on choosing replacement hammers for a circa 1990 Baldwin console. The originals have had the felt fall off the mouldings.

I tried various sample hammers on the piano. Dale Erwin was kind enough to send me a few Ronsen hammers of their several felt types, I had some Abels and Renners, and I also tried some used Young Chang console hammers.

I've done similar sampling on other painos - usually decent grand pianos - and found that the various hammers produced different tones. However, with this piano, in all honesty, they all sound pretty much the same. Yes, that's right - the used YC hammers sounded the same as Abels, Renners and Ronsens.

The owner wishes to not spend any more money that necessary, and if she could hear the difference, she would be willing to pay for the higher-end hammers. I generally think it is always worth it to put the best sounding hammer on a piano regardless of the cost. However, in this case, it sure seems difficult, if not improper, to try to convince her to spend $$ on a set of Ronsens when they all sound the same.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Terry Farrell