[pianotech] Plastic Flange Replacement

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Feb 12 15:52:02 MST 2013

Dean's advice sounds very good. If you get them even roughly in order,
you'll have far less bending to do. New damper felt is easy, and will
seat better since it won't have any dents from prior use to try to get
back in place. For the bass section, new wedges premade are better yet.
You can install the levers in as good order as you can, bend the wires
so the heads line up and seem in the right places, and then put glue on
the wedges, and slide them down the strings to glue to the heads.
Alignment perfect.

I've replaced parts where both the flanges and the levers were plastic.
Bending wires from scratch was hard and time-consuming. Having them
roughly right before you start would save a lot of time.

Glad you're saving the piano. It's not like all the other parts were
bad. Even so, I've saved some otherwise nice small pianos with almost all
plastic parts -- but I never did manage to do it without thinking
afterward that I'd underbid.

Susan