[pianotech] cracked/split jack birdseyes, etc.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 11:37:45 MST 2013

Richard,
I mean at right angle to the existing hole, from the bottom of the hammer
butt or jack. If we were holding the jack in it's normal veritcal position,
we would drill from the bottom straight up and intersecting with the
centerpin hole. Drill pass the intersection, so that there is sufficient
cross grain tooth pick to drill horizontally. There is the chance of
drilling the centerpin hole crooked. I use a drill press and The drill bits
are very small and most drill chucks will not close tight enough to hold
them. I use a Pin Vise, like the ones that Steinway put in their Teflon
Bushing Kits. I remove one end of the the double ended pin vise so that it
can be chucked in the drill chuck. Once in the drill, I tighten the
cinching nut of the pin vise so the drill bit will be firmly in it. I've
found this gets the job done.<G> I hope that is clearer. I'm not able to
take a picture at the moment. But, will if nec.
Joe