[pianotech] 1098 Hammer Bore

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Feb 15 15:39:34 MST 2013

 >A ballpark hammer bore determination for an upright would be: String
to center pin distance less blow distance plus 5.5 mm (7/32").

??????
Not quite, using the figures that Dale supplied (2.25" & 2.625") and
with Hammer Center Distances of 1.75" & 2.125" (HCD); the bore would be
calculated by HCD + .5".

Some of the hammer heads had been removed and some shanks measure as low
as .205", that makes the .218" bore enormous. Looking at this action
further, I noticed there are 6 jack support flanges which had been glued
on so crooked that the tips of the jacks are almost touching the
adjacent hammer butt. Many more are a quarter to a half the width of the
jack out from under their respective butts.

The sad part is, I turned this job down in January and referred it to
the other guy... only to have it dumped back into my lap.

--
Regards,

Jon Page