[pianotech] Fork and piano temp. and pitch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Feb 21 19:00:57 MST 2013

On 2/21/2013 7:21 PM, Mark Schecter wrote:
> Right, I actually have no interest in infinite anything, especially
> discussion, but this is not that huge. I know we'll never get to
> perfection, but I think we'll be just a little closer if we tune our
> forks at room temp, and then tune our pianos with the fork at plate
> temp, knowing that that's NOT A440. I'm open to someone weighing in from
> a different perspective that might cause me to rethink, but if that
> doesn't happen, this might be a useful concept in somebody's thinking
> process. That's all I really had in mind.

No problem with that. We sure need definable standards. My point, on the
other hand, is that no matter how carefully or accurately we set A, it
will rise and fall with the heater or AC cycle, and never be on pitch
except in passing. This shows up easily during the tuning as you do
interval checks.

Ron N