[pianotech] Fork and piano temp. and pitch

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 18:13:05 MST 2013

I myself have often wondered about that with respect to the older
generation of tuners who advocated putting the fork on the plate.

In theory, maybe it works a little to our advantage. But then again, how
long must the fork remain on the plate before it assumes the temperature of
the plate? Another way of asking: How can we be sure the fork has changed
enough to match the coming temperature change of the room?

And, the strings are affected by warm air currents much more quickly than
the plate will be.

What I do is estimate 4-6 cents of pitch change for every 10º F (at A4) and
adjust starting pitch accordingly. Naturally, it will be different for
different size pianos. So...if I come to a church piano and the room
temperature is 55ºF, I will certainly not tune the piano to A440. What I do
is listen to where the pitch is currently (in all sections), then make my
best judgment as to where the starting pitch needs to be. I might tune the
above piano to A442.5 if it's currently at A441.5. (Because the pitch drops
significantly in that part of the piano with the winters in my region. And
who knows if the church might have been colder than 55º that morning, and
then had warmed up prior to my arrival. Lots of variables.)

In some pianos--particularly larger grands--I'll tune the low tenor
slightly sharp because that section reacts more. At least it reacts more
immediately to air temperature. I have no clue what actually happens after
the entire piano acclimates to the air temperature change. With the one
Steinway D I take care of, I know what happens in that piano because I can
observe that piano more closely in a concert situation.

It's a guessing game. So far, I've either won, or nobody cares, or they've
called someone else. But no complaints. For whatever that's worth. ;-)

--
John Formsma, RPT
Blue Mountain, MS