[pianotech] Knabe Screw

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 23 16:47:04 MST 2013

Arlie R. asked:
"This circa 1887 Knabe has four unusual screws holding the action in place,
but one is broken. Does anyone know whether I might be able to obtain one
somewhere? See pictures. The threaded portion of the broken one is in place
and will have to be drilled out."

Arlie,
First of all, I don't recommend "drilling out" of the broken part. There
really are better ways.<G> (that sort of thing needs to be confined to
Automotive Sledgehammer Mechanics.<G>) Use the same techniques for
extracting an agraffe stem. As for getting a replacement, my best
recommendation would be to take one of the good ones to a qualified
Machinist and have him duplicate it. Or,.....figure out what the thread is
and get a bolt of the same thread count/diameter and go with that. It all
depends on how fussy you want to be. The Machinist thang, be prepared to
spend part of your retirement fund.<G>
Welcome to the world of "threads"!
Best,
Joe