[pianotech] Knabe screw

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Feb 23 20:02:23 MST 2013

On 2/23/2013 4:51 PM, Arlie Rauch wrote:
> This circa 1887 Knabe has four unusual screws holding the action in
> place, but one is broken.  Does anyone know whether I might be able
> to obtain one somewhere?  See pictures.  The threaded portion of the
> broken one is in place and will have to be drilled out.

Arlie,
Gulbransen players had a couple of screws very like this on the stack,
only longer. Take one down to your Ace Hardware (or equivalent), and buy
a thumb screw to match, if the thread is of this earth. Get a nut that
fits the thread too. Back home, screw the nut on and tighten it up
against the thumb flair. Thread locker if you have some, and you have
your replacement for a buck instead of handing over your favorite large
denomination bill to a machinist to make one. Or buy three or four and
replace the set. Splurge!
Ron N