[pianotech] The new pianotech is in Google...er..I think

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 10:19:02 MST 2013

The following was gleaned from the Dark Side, courtesy of Jim Moy. I'll
hold off sending it until I get his permission to post it:
"11.From: Jim Moy
Subject: RE:Pianotech Mail-List Server closing April 1st
Message: No need to "disappear from the scene" if my.ptg.org doesn't happen
to be your cup of tea. The new G+ community is just one of the scenes
available to the wired piano tech. There's the PTG Facebook page. There's
the Pianoworld.com tech forum. The LinkedIn site may have a distinctly
career and networking focus, but the Piano Tuners & Technicians group there
is active.

If you still want an email discussion list that functions almost identically
to pianotech at ptg.org, then simply send a blank email to this address:

pianotech+subscribe at googlegroups.com

And start sending emails to pianotech at googlegroups.com. It does an even
better job with attachments than the old Mailman list. And you may not even
notice that it is not hosted on a PTG sponsored server, other than it will
likely operate more reliably for most people.

I understand the nostalgia for the old pianotech days. Nothing is the same
on the Internet as it was back in the late 90's. But let's not confuse loss
of a piece of hardware with the loss of ability to create online
communities. The PTG helped provide a server when online resources were
scarce, and resources are no longer the issue."

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I
http://gpianoworks.com/