[pianotech] Google groups (Horace)

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Tue Feb 26 13:55:31 MST 2013

Hi, Jim,

On 2/26/2013 12:38 PM, Jim Ialeggio wrote:
> Horace,
>
> Could you be specific on what tasks we are required for to fill, how
> many of us would be needed at least right now, and what the time
> commitment(s) would be, and what the tech savy-ness quotient of
> volunteers would have to be?

I'm actually working on that now; and hope to have some answers sometime
later today, but more likely tomorrow.

At the moment, depending on where the server would be set up, the
overall administrative interaction should be fairly low.  Putting the
box at an ISP (of some flavor), and arranging with that entity to handle
backup, firewall, spam, & etc means that only the mailman application
and its related files and repositories will need any attention.  Most
ISPs offer these kinds services as part of what is known as a Service
Level Agreement (SLA).  Specific terms and conditions vary, all of which
affect costs; which is why it would be good to have some information
from other folks, too.

It helps that there've been a couple of folks who have some technical
knowledge already volunteer to help.  A few more would be
welcome...share the wealth, as it were.

In terms of tech-saviness, we can probably come up with some relatively
straight-forward instructions...that would be (relatively) easy to
follow.  It's like learning anything else.  But, the point is that,
depending on whether or not the list is set up to be "closed" or "open",
the main work of the administrator(s) is to monitor the list function
from time to time (not hard, if the membership remains ready to speak up
when things look funky), and to "laise" with whatever ISP when sources
of spam, malware, or viruses/bots are suspected.

Does that help?

Thanks very much for asking.  The more hands are interested, the easier
it will be for things to have a positive outcome for the greatest number
of people.

Kind regards.

Horace