[pianotech] real costs of running a listserv list

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 27 08:14:46 MST 2013

Hi, Phil:
Thanks for this information.  If the cost of the software is $850 a year, and there are, say, 100 core participants, then each of them will need to pay $8.50 a year.  I'm not sure if this is the actual cost, since we would need to inquire from Lars Nordstrom directly about our situation.
Whether the server is located at someone's residence, or whether it's a commercially maintained server is the next question.  Reliability is key, in my opinion, so I'd vote a commercial server rather than someone's garage or bedroom, subject to power fluctuations, etc.  Add a yearly fee for that.  Setting it up, I think we can come up with someone, maybe Horace, or some young whippersnapper IT guy fresh out of school, a friend or ?  Doable.
So, some costs are going to have to be borne by us in some amount to have our own list, separate from PTG.  We owe a lot to Andy Rudoff for bearing all the costs and effort involved with starting and maintaining the list for all those years.  Whether he had to pay $850 a year, well, we'd have to ask him about that.  At any rate, we will have to decide if we want to "own" the list, or just stay with Googlegroups.
Paul McCLoud
San Diego