[pianotech] pianotech on googlegroups running great!

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Wed Feb 27 10:42:48 MST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Joseph Garrett
<joegarrett at earthlink.net>wrote:

> As I see it the first is our Archives.

If you mean the historical archives of pianotech from 1997 to Apr 1, those
will be transferred to my.ptg.org and be accessible via Google searches,
web browsing, as well as the my.ptg.org search facility. It's a pretty good
search function, if you haven't tried it. I'll also be able to store the
raw archives, for future use.

If you simply mean an archive of the ongoing discussion after Apr 1, then
Google provides that with the web interface to the Google Group.

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Joseph Garrett <joegarrett at earthlink.net
> > wrote:
> Second, a decent Digest that functions as this one does.

This, I don't have much experience with, as I don't use the digest feature,
and consider it an outdated mode of operation. I know it exists, but others
will have to relate their experiences with it. How it functions is
controlled by Google.

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Joseph Garrett <joegarrett at earthlink.net
> > wrote:
> Third a decent system of administration of the system that is controllable
> by us.

Google provides an admin function, which is currently available to the
group's owner, John Delacour. You can administer users, moderation, and
some other details about the email that gets sent out. But we do not
control the underlying database, that is a Google function, and is closely
tied to how they are able to provide the service as well as the web
interface.

It is true that if you want complete control of everything related to the
list, you're going to need your own server and manage it yourself. I don't
believe this is necessary for the proper existence of the pianotech
community, but others may disagree.

Jim