[pianotech] real costs of running a listserv list

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Wed Feb 27 15:18:25 MST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Paul McCloud <pmc033 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Once we understand the investment necessary to start, then we can have a
> debate over GoogleGroup vs Listserv.

The Google Group has already been running for a year, took zero investment
to start, and has had zero expenses to run for this long. So what we're
really talking about is starting up a *fifth* online group (original,
my.ptg, gtech, g+, <new>), investing in it to get it started, weighing risk
to benefit for how much you think it's going to cost, recruiting people
from an already split audience to volunteer and help run it, administering
fee collection and membership, and contract to an organization to run it.

And *then* convince people from the other four groups to move over to it,
or at least pay money to use it at the same time as they're a member of one
or more of the others.

In a way, since JD owns the GoogleGroup forum, he could pull the plug if he
> wanted to.  Suppose he disappears?  Then what becomes of it?

I presume, being a good natured person, John would hand over "ownership" to
someone next in line. Hopefully by then he would've recruited others to
take the "manager" role that Google provides, and someone from that group
would be willing. But the handoff is would be relatively simple since there
would be no question of tech infrastructure on which it relies. Now, if he
is indeed a madman and were delete the group (is it possible to delete a
public Google Group?) there would be nothing we could do about it except
hope that someone with foresight was already saving the posts somewhere so
it could be resurrected...

Jim