[pianotech] Pinblock Separation Repair

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 28 04:44:40 MST 2013

I posted this because this is a piano I have seen/tuned numerous times. I went there a month ago, checked the pitch, and saw that the high treble and low bass were up to pitch, but the low tenor was like 30 cents flat. I immediately asked the owner if he minded if I tore the felt off the top of the pinblock to inspect. Sure enough there was a good 1/8" crack open in the middle. I explained to him the nuts and bolts (pun intended) of the repair and he asked me if I would be offended if he did the repair. I said no, gave him a few more pointers, many warnings, and wished him luck. He did it! And except for two tuning pins that a tuning tip doesn't seat well on and one that barely can be moved, he really did a nice job. Just thought I'd share.

Terry Farrell