[pianotech] Birdcage piano for David Boyce

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Thu Feb 28 17:48:10 MST 2013

Thanks Wim.  1880s would seem about right. At least it doesn't seem to
have oblong pins, which you sometimes encounter on those old cheap
pianos, and which I hate!  It's a spring and loop action I see. In my
experience they never feel nice.  I wonder if the owner understands that
that piano was a cheap and nasty model even when it was brand new? In
that era there were so many small workshops in England churning out
cheap poorly-made pianos for the newly emerging lower middle-class
domestic market.  There's not much more to be said about that piano,
except that it should probably have been burnt sixty years ago!  But I
come across plenty like it.

Best regards,

David .