Institutional Piano Cleaning

Joel Jones jajones2@facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon May 3 14:13 MDT 1999

>NAME:	Joel Jones
>INSTITUTION: University of Wisconsin
>STAFF POSITION / CONTRACT:  Full time staff
>

>1 -	Is piano tech staff responsible for the actual cleaning of the
>pianos?   Yes
>
>2 -	Does facilities (maintenance) do any piano cleaning?  No, No, No !
>
>3 -	If so, to what extent?
>
>4 -	Do you use students to clean pianos?   Yes, Yes, Yes  !
>
>5 -	If so, how much do you pay?  $6.50
>
>6 -	How often do the pianos in various venue types get  a)dusted?
>b)washed?  c)polished?
>			A)	Performance     -  Once a week with tuning
>			B)	Teaching Studios  -    Once a semester
>(Ivory keys  +)
>			C)	Classrooms  -  Once a semester
>			D)	Practice Rooms  -  4 times a year
>
>7 -	Essay  (You can elaborate on any of the above responses or expound
>freely):
I've used students for wash/wax/polish and adjustment/regulation/evaluation
for 25 years.   It is the backbone of our maintenance program.   Highly
recommend it.  Students are very good liaison for improved maintenance and
service to problem pianos.  Establishing a budget is the most difficult
part of this solution.