Institutional Piano Cleaning

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Mon May 3 15:29 MDT 1999

On Mon, 3 May 1999, David Skolnik wrote:

> NAME:	Ron Torrella, RPT
> INSTITUTION: University of Michigan
> STAFF POSITION / CONTRACT: Asst. Piano Technician (full time)
>

> 1 -	Is piano tech staff responsible for the actual cleaning of the pianos?
	Yes

> 2 -	Does facilities (maintenance) do any piano cleaning?
	No

> 3 -	If so, to what extent?
	(NA)

> 4 -	Do you use students to clean pianos?
	Yes.

> 5 -	If so, how much do you pay?
	(Can we discuss this, legally?) Something on the order of
	$6.50/hr.

> 6 -	How often do the pianos in various venue types get  a)dusted?
> b)washed?  c)polished?

> 	A)	Performance
		a- 1-2x/mo
		b- 1/yr
		c- rarely
> 	B)	Teaching Studios
		a- 1-2x/yr
		b- 1/yr
		c- rarely
>	C)	Classrooms
		a- 1-2x/yr
		b- 1/yr
		c- never
> 	D)	Practice Rooms
		a- never (student's incidentally dust them...)
		b- 1/yr
		c- never

> 7 -	Essay  (You can elaborate on any of the above responses or expound
> freely):

Ron Torrella, RPT
Piano Technician		"And like that...he's gone."
University of Michigan		     - Roger "Verbal" Kint (Kevin Spacey)
School of Music			       The Usual Suspects
734/764-6207 (office/shop)
734/763-5097 (fax)
734/572-7663 (home)