new to list - inquiry

Scott Thile scott.thile@murraystate.edu
Wed Aug 2 10:09 MDT 2000

Hi Carol,

Check out the "Guidelines for Effective Institutional Piano Maintenance" on
the CAUT web site:

http://www.mursuky.edu/caut.php/homepage.htm

The direct link to the guidelines is:

http://www.mursuky.edu/caut.php/guidlines_pg.htm

There are also a couple of files available for download (one for Excell and
one for FileMaker Pro).  If you have one of these programs the files will
help you calculate the tech hours needed based on information about the
pianos and performance expectations.  There is also a formula in the
Guidelines document you can use to do this manually based on the same criteria.

Here is a brief excerpt for you to get you started:

"As stated in the introduction, the College and University Technicians'
Committee of the Piano Technicians Guild recommends a ratio of one
full-time technician for every forty to sixty pianos in performance
oriented institutions. For typical non-performance institutions, a ratio of
one full-time technician for every sixty to eighty pianos is recommended.
To facilitate an understanding of why these recommended ratios are
desirable, we have provided the following outline and description of some
general standards for piano maintenance required in institutional settings: "

I think you will want to have the entire document to help justify your
position though.  A nice published copy is available from the HO fir $5,
but you can print out either the HTML or .PDF versions from the web site if
you need them for your presentation tomorrow.

We are in the process of revising the guidelines right now, but plugging
the data for your situation into the formula as it exits now will be a
really good starting point.

Hope it all goes well for you,
Scott
---------