new to list - inquiry

Greg Granoff gjg2@humboldt.edu
Thu Aug 3 10:40 MDT 2000

Another voice weighing in here Carol:
I'm in agreement with Dave-- it's critical to have grands of some size
(hopefully not too small) for piano performance majors to practice on.  If well
maintained these provide a perfectly satisfactory experience for them and also
helps remove the inevitable, but totally unacceptable pressure that would
otherwise land on your performance piano(s) to function as practice instruments
in addition to concert use.
This is the most important reason that I know of to have practice grands as well
as uprights.  We have a fleet of some 45 studio uprights (Hamiltons, Yamahas,
and Young Changs) that have never displayed a common tendency toward 'walking
pins' of which I've ever been aware, even with literally almost constant use.
They are tuned/serviced about 4 times a year and in general are sturdy and
reliable. (Especially the Hamiltons-- many of which are at least 40 years old).
Uprights are easy to move, take up little space compared to grands, and are
perfect, as Dave says, for vocal accompaniment, working out theory homework, and
the usual array of idle noodling/pounding that is inevitably inflicted on pianos
in a music school setting.  Probably your biggest mechanical headaches are going
to be in the regulation department.  It's true that uprights aquire a junky,
unsatisfatory feel more quickly than grands-- perceptible lost motion, etc.--
and regular,detailed maintenance will be crucial to avoid these problems.
Hope this helps with perspective on your decisions.

Greg Granoff