workload formula

Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Thu Aug 3 14:24 MDT 2000

Hi list,

I've just finished with an analysis of our workloads here at CCM using the
formula published in the "Guidelines..." using the Excel file David Porritt
placed on the CAUT webpage. Thanks for doing all that work David, it really
helps! It's a lot of tedious work entering all the data, but hey, once it's
done, it's done.

I came up with some interesting numbers (I hope the columns come through
intact):

Pianos currently in use - 	218

Base workload			60		Base workload 		100

workload - 			44.27		Workload
73.78

Techs. needed - 		4.924		Techs. needed
2.955

Condition - 			.817

Quality - 			.970

Climate				.839

Age				.885

Usage				.904

Acceptable Standards		1.388

My thoughts about all this are as follows:

Using a base workload of 60 seems too low given all the other factors. If we
had 4.9 technicians working here we would be falling all over each other. It
just so turned out that when I plugged a base workload of 100 into the
formula as you can see above, the recommended # of techs. fell almost
exactly at 3 which is the number I think we need given my experience here.

The condition of our pianos is better than good, the quality is close to
excellent, the climate is fair, the age is very close to good, usage medium,
and the standards are a high good. Given the realities of the world, these
ratings show no major deficiencies except a less than ideal climate control.
We are also very performance-heavy here - a factor I feel should also be
entered into the mix somehow.

It would be interesting to see how data from a large number of institutions
would stack up. If we could get a lot of input on this subject, maybe we
could arrive at a more realistic base workload number. I know the
administration here would scoff at the idea of employing 5 technicians, but
if the budget allowed it would employ three with no qualms (there are
currently 2 of us).

The administration here is familiar with the CAUT workload guidelines and
completely discounts them as being unrealistic. I'm sure the situation is
much the same elsewhere. I think that if the guidelines were brought a
little closer to the realities of the world, administrations would be more
apt to use them seriously in planning staff requirements.

I look forward to comments from anyone who has used the formula, and would
be very interested in seeing what numbers others have come up with.

Eric Wolfley, RPT
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati