new to list - inquiry

Mitch Staples staples.13@osu.edu
Thu Aug 3 16:02 MDT 2000

Hey Carol,

I think it's important to remind administrators that any piano smaller than
a seven foot performance quality grand is a compromise.  They'll all agree
that it's unfair to expect top quality students to use second quality
pianos.  Most performers hate to compromise so if you use that word a few
times they'll dig a little deeper in their pockets.  Of course there may
come a point when the money is just not there.

As far as maintenance goes it's kind of a pay me now or pay the store later.
Again you have to remind administrators that if they want to be competitive
with other schools and attract top quality students they can't skimp on
maintenance. I've found that if you delay maintenance on a piano the
students loose respect for that instrument and are more apt to trash it, I
have a fall board on my bench right now with some choice words scratched in
it.  It's also very important to have someone available to do emergency
maintenance on concert instruments.

It's good to hear from you,

Mitch