Guidelines addendum

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed Mar 14 13:03 MST 2001

Hi Fred,
     I think you should change the school classifications to be easier for
technicians to select the correct classification without opinion or
pride.  I wrote in some suggestions below.  The rest should be very
interesting.

> 2) Would you describe this institution as
> a) Prestigious conservatory

This is probably ok because there are only a few which are all considered
prestigious

> b) Prominent music school

Should be just "School of Music".  I suspect all schools of music consider
themselves "Prominent"

> c) Music department of national reputation

> d) Average music department or other

Hard to know what average is or what constitutes a "national reputation"
It would be easier if you classified them by the number of faculty  (full
time/ rank, etc.) and majors, graduate programs and their mission.  Some
are purely "education" oriented and some are oriented more toward applied
music/performance sector.  This makes a substantial difference in how much
the pianos are used.  The number of piano performance majors would be
significant, also the number and type of concerts in a year would be
important to understanding the school.

-Mike Jorgensen