caut-digest V2001 #45 (CAUT spills his guts)

David M. Porritt dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu
Wed Mar 28 11:04 MST 2001

I'd second Mary's observation, below.  I have enjoyed my association with the students and have found them to be some of the finest people I know.  I don't think it has helped my position politically here, but their friendship has enhanced me personally.

dave

On 3/27/01 at 8:38 PM MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

>I don't read Pianotech because it's too much information. I've got work to
>do! I did, however, get the forward of Michael's post today, and have been
>thinking about it. Of course, there is much wisdom there, and I have great
>respect for Michael's experience. But I question the part about not "wasting
>time" befriending students. While it is most politically expedient to
>befriend faculty and administration, there is much to be gained from getting
>to know these talented young people. Of course, I have the luxury of working
>on a staff of four piano techs (2 full- and 2 half-time, I am half-time; we
>have about 265 pianos), and I am not the head technician. Still, I just
>wanted to make the point that students often have pianos in their homes that
>need to be serviced, and they are at school to learn, and can learn from us.
>I also gain a great deal musically, technically and personally from my
>friendships with students and, after nine years at UT, have made some
>friends for life among them. It is a privelege to serve them.

David M. Porritt
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University