Piano covers

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri Nov 2 09:41 MST 2001

List

One thought just occurred to me regarding the grand covers, especially for
the concert grands being moved on and off the stage, or as in Richard's case,
between stages. Although we want to keep the covers on the pianos, so as to
not damage them too much, perhaps we need to recognize the fact that the
piano covers are there for a purpose, and that is to protect the piano. In
doing so, however, because of the nature of beast, (the piano), and the
destructive powers of the deed (the moving), and the make up of the material
used to protect the beast, (the cover), damage to the latter is a given. So
instead of trying to figure out how best to keep the cover from being
damaged, we need to take the attitude that the covers are going to be
damaged, and take steps accordingly. Buy two at a time, and replace them as
needed.

Sooner or later those who dole out the money will see that there is problem,
and perhaps they will come up with a solution. Some of them that come to
mind. Larger doors through which to move the pianos. Professional helpers (or
at least trained monkeys), to move the piano from one place to another. A
permanent place on the stage for the piano. I am sure there are other
solutions. But I am not paid to come up them.

Wim
Willem Blees
University of Alabama