damper problem, solution

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:12:28 EDT

Thanks to those who gave some advice.

The problem is in the agraff section of the trichords. I discovered that the
problem was not so much string leveling, but string spacing, as Mary
suggested. But instead of working with the dampers, I put a screw driver between the
agraff of the adjacent string and the right string that was ringing, and twisted
the screw driver. This brought the right string closer to the middle. That
solved the problem.

It is still a mystery why the right string kept ringing only with the shift
engaged. During normal playing all three strings are activated by the hammer.
And with the shift only the middle and right strings ring. So why is only the
right string ringing?

Wim