Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:21:39 EDT

In a message dated 6/13/03 4:06:02 PM Central Daylight Time, Bdshull@aol.com
writes:

> Yes, there will be no additional skills test.  No, since the CAUT
> credential would be provided only to RPTs, who have been tested for basic skills.  The
> coursework would not provide the CAUT any more hands-on skills than the
> Institute already provides to, say, rebuild pianos;  however, additional CAUT
> classes on managing rebuilding  - spec'ing vendor rebuilding work and the like -
> would help the CAUT to skillfully administer a program in the school.  The
> same with new purchases, lease programs, supervising work, interacting with
> administration, dealing with the challenges of the smaller schools/contract
> technician, prioritizing work, etc.
>
> A CAUT credential would be obtained from combining selected existing
> Institute curricula with CAUT curricula.
>
> Bill

The concept is very good. But I'm not sure if we need to go through a
"certification" process to give a CAUT some sort of credibility. I think just
offering classes on the topics you listed would be enough. The ones you listed would
be ones I certainly would attend. And I wouldn't limit those classes to CAUTS.
There are many techs who would get a lot out of those kinds of classes, just
to deal with large public schools and/or churches.

Wim