Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:13:39 +0200

Bdshull@aol.com wrote:

> Hi, Wim,
>
> Here our natural tendency towards independence works against us some,
> I think.  If there is a time when a collective commitment to an
> educational standard within the PTG is important, this is it.  Well
> over 1500 colleges and universities use piano technicians or tuners;
> we don't know how many use RPT's, but we know that a sizable number do
> not use RPT's, and don't have any incentive to.

A very excellent point Bill, on all counts.

> The certification ensures us that within the PTG we are sufficiently
> educating CAUTs in their specialized area to a standard which we
> believe is important for the profession.

It wont unless it very clearly and undeniably demonstrates a high level
and broad range of learned skills. In fact, I would suspect that if any
such certification is anything less then this, it will do more damage
then good. You dont want to create some certification that will appear
as some scheme for makeing in RPT looks somehow magically more
proficient then he/she is. If Admin folks can sniff out anything... its
that kind of thing.

> But at least as important is the marketability of the
> CAUT-credentialed technician to colleges and universities.  A
> corresponding effort to educate the university on using the
> CAUT-trained RPT should, over time, result in a dramatic change from
> the current situation, where a large number of schools do not even use
> RPT's.  We all know about these nightmare stories.  A
> CAUT-credentialed RPT is most likely to serve the needs of a
> university best.  And the language of credentialing is language a
> school understands.

Only if this CAUT credentialed RPT is synonomous with a level of
demonstratable proffesional skills that institutions will come to
respect and recognize. You try and sell these folks something less and
they will smell it out, and that word will spread even faster.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.