Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:05:32 EDT

Hi, Wim,

Here our natural tendency towards independence works against us some, I
think.  If there is a time when a collective commitment to an educational standard
within the PTG is important, this is it.  Well over 1500 colleges and
universities use piano technicians or tuners;  we don't know how many use RPT's, but
we know that a sizable number do not use RPT's, and don't have any incentive to.

The certification ensures us that within the PTG we are sufficiently
educating CAUTs in their specialized area to a standard which we believe is important
for the profession.

But at least as important is the marketability of the CAUT-credentialed
technician to colleges and universities.  A corresponding effort to educate the
university on using the CAUT-trained RPT should, over time, result in a dramatic
change from the current situation, where a large number of schools do not even
use RPT's.  We all know about these nightmare stories.  A CAUT-credentialed
RPT is most likely to serve the needs of a university best.  And the language
of credentialing is language a school understands.

Keep in mind that many of these schools - especially smaller and midsized
schools - use part-time and contract techs.  It is not uncommon for a contract
tech to have accounts at more than one school.   The CAUT credential should help
all the way around.  The school can be better assured their contract tech is
staying up to speed in the profession, and the contract tech will have better
tools with which to serve the school.

Bill