Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 07:42:29 -0600

Ed,
	Briefly, the German certification system involves several years of full
time school and apprenticeship, followed by an exam regimen in which, among
other things, the candidate actually builds a piano. Very much in the old
world tradition of the guild. In Germany, this certification is required of
any independent piano technician - it's illegal to hang out a shingle
without one (there is an exception for someone who wants to hang out a mere
"tuning" shingle).
	Bottom line, this is a very complex and cumbersome system, and one which
will never happen in the US. That said, it is also quite admirable, and we
in the US could learn a great deal from it. How to emulate? I'm not sure.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Saturday, June 14, 2003 8:30 AM -0400 Ed Sutton <ed440@mindspring.com>