Let's cut to the chase was Re: Guidelines comments

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:49:37 EDT

In a message dated 6/16/03 5:17:34 PM Central Daylight Time, fssturm@unm.edu
writes:

> I think the best way to improve the salary situation would be for the US
> Congress to establish a national, universal system of health
> care/insurance.

I'm sorry Fred, but I'm afraid it's a lot more complicated than that. Yes, a
universal health insurance policy might help, but I don't that by itself is
going solve the problem of under paid piano technicians.

What we need is a way to figure out how to convince school administrators why
hiring highly qualified, and thus higher paid, piano technicians is to their
best interest. I'm afraid just telling them that "we" are needed for artistic
value is not going to cut it.

I'm not suggesting piano need to be kept in tune only for non artistic
values, but with most states having financial problems, a better cause and effect
needs to be shown. In other words, what I've been talking about. We need to show
how spending $50,000 a year to take care of a million dollars or more in
inventory is going to save them money in the long run. If we can come up with a
way to do that, perhaps it will raise the income level at all schools.

Wim