take this job and shove it (was let's cut..)

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:42:47 -0600

	From the perspective of a state institution, there _is_ actually a way to
get "promoted." One can have the job description reviewed and upgraded,
with a possible rise in "grade" (ie, salary range). This would probably
need to involve higher qualifications and/or responsibilities (having a
supervisory role is especially highly regarded in this respect - get
yourself a student assistant or some outside contracting to oversee). The
mechanism _might_ require that the job you currently hold be abolished, and
a new position created, for which you would need to apply. With the
possibility that you might not be hired.
	But such an avenue can work. My brother-in-law went through such a
process, successfully, in a graphics design position with the same
university I work for.
	Another avenue for increasing one's salary is to apply for a better paying
job elsewhere, and bring the job offer to your supervisor. They may have
funds specifically available for matching other offers (as a matter of
policy, many institutions would rather retain than have to hire - saves the
expense of hiring and the loss of experience). Faculty do this all the time
in my department - or try to.

Just a couple suggestions for the old hopper.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
Universidad de Nuevo Mexico

--On Friday, June 20, 2003 12:16 PM -0500 Conrad Hoffsommer