ETDs

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Sun, 02 Nov 2003 21:05:34 -0500

I formed the habit of tuning aurally 60 years ago, and the habit is hard to
break, so I still do it that way.  Interestingly enough, I use my SAT II
more for making precise measurements than I do for just tuning.  A few
years ago, I calibrated my B&K frequency/peroid counter from the NIST
(formerly NBS) station WWV carrier on 15 MHz, and then checked my SAT with
a tunable oscillator and the frequency counter.  It's accuracy was
fantastic.  I don't recall the numbers right now, but I published them in
an article on "Tuning Forks" in the May 1995 JOURNAL.  At the PTG
Convention that year, I asked Dr. Sanderson if he had read my article, and
he said, "Yes, three times".

Sincerely, Jim Ellis