Schaff Tuning Levers - slap tuning [bcc][faked-from][mx]

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:49:43 -0500

This is the way I have found to be most effective as well. I would
characterize my method for fine adjustment as a "mini-slap" ...a small jerk
not only breaks the string loose but it also breaks the pin loose. If you
make small movements without moving the string and pin you are introducing
instability. I think it reproduces the effect of a hard blow, shaking loose
anything that is likely to come loose under playing conditions. Like Fred,
years of concert tuning and the privilege of checking my work constantly the
day after have proven this to be a very effective method for achieving
excellent stability.

Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati