[Experts] Kranich and Bach grand actions

Greg Granoff gjg2@humboldt.edu
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:09:08 -0800

Re: [Experts] Kranich and Bach grand actionsWhile I understand the =
question regarding antique value, in a case (pun intended?) like this, =
it would be a valuation placed by perhaps an auction house, who would =
not be concerned necessarily whether the instrument played or not, but =
simply that it was all original.  A buyer would be either someone who =
collects for the same reason, and is also concerned mostly with =
originality over playability, or someone seriously wanting to play as =
well as admire.  For this person, an updated action would be the only =
realistic choice, and the results of a successful job (a nicely playing =
instrument with no change in special external appearance) would most =
likely far outweigh the "original parts" issue as a place from which to =
give the instrument's ultimate value.  Two different markets and =
mentalities-- separating them from each other is useful.
Just my HO.
Greg
Greg Granoff   RPT
Humboldt State University