S&S D Soundboard removal

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:04:10 -0600

>Cutting it out won't work. Pretty sure that Bolduc will need the end of ribs
>in tact where they fit into the case notches to get the thickness right. In
>some ways it was a lot easier when I built them from scratch.

I think the best advice so far was from Ron Overs. Scribe a uniform
distance in from the rim all around and chisel away the panel edge joint.
You'll do less damage to the inner rim finish this way too. Another thing
you might try is pressing the board out with clamps. Lay a plank on edge
across the underside of the rib ends along the straight side. This is the
clamp caul to press the ribs up, so it should be wide enough to extend
below the rim edge when it's against the ribs. Clamp some scrap lumber and
a pad of some sort along the top of the rim to protect the finish. This is
the other clamp caul. Put on a couple of big F clamps so  the jaw is on the
top caul, and the screw on the bottom one. Tighten alternately until
something gives, then chase it around the rim by leapfrogging clamps and
cauls until you get enough of it loose enough to remove by the usual prying
and whacking. Since the underside caul will be spanning maybe three ribs at
a time, It spreads the load out some and makes it slightly more likely that
the joint will break before the ribs do. Also, it's a controlled but
constant and heavy pressure that will let you pound around some while the
pressure's on to encourage separation. It's easier, and I think more likely
to work than heat and lethal chemistry. I've done it once, and it worked
great - but I might have just got lucky. Might be worth a try.

Ron N