sawing off hammershank tails

dm.porritt@verizon.net dm.porritt@verizon.net
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:21:12 -0600

Wim:

I use the dremel wheel that is fiber reinforced to cut them off.  It does burn the wood, particularly if you do them fast.  When I've cut them off not quite flush, I use the dremel sanding drum and finish off that last 1/16 of an inch leaving a nice smooth surface.  20-minutes max.

dave
From: Wimblees@aol.com
Date: 2004/02/19 Thu AM 11:57:08 CST
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: sawing off hammershank tails

I used to saw off the ends of shanks with a Dremel saw. But Dremel
discontinued making them. (I guess too many people trying to stop the saw with their
fingers, and suing Dremel because it cut off their fingers.)

For a while I was taking the hammers and shanks off, and trimming the tails
with a band saw. But lately I've been using a Heavy Duty Cutt-Off Wheel, no.
420 from Dremel. I just did a set,  and it worked OK, except that it burns the
wood, which creates a bad smell, and I used 6 wheels.

Does anyone else have a way to trim the tails, other than using a band saw?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music