sawing off hammershank tails

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:41:22 -0700

Guy,
=20
I saw you do this at a convention (Reno?) and was quite impressed. But
you used a special sanding disc you could "see through". What was that
and where do you get them?=20
Thanks
=20
Jim Busby BYU
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Nichols
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 5:31 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: sawing off hammershank tails
=20
Wim,
   I take off the shank bits at the same time I shape the tails. I clamp
up a section of hammers with a standard sandwich clamp, and grind off
the bits with a right-angle grinder fitted with a couple of thicknesses
of 50 grit wheels. 41/2 to 6 inch dia.. I prefer the air tool variety,
but a 19.99 Harbor Freight grinder will work. Air gives you a lot more
control, and runs a bit quieter. Come by the rebuilding skills class at
Annual for a demo. I learned it from Jamie Marks and have been using it
for years. After taking off the bits I shape the tails, and the 50 grit
leaves the wood just right for positive checking without tearing up the
leather. No checkering file needed. I often reshape existing tails for
the heck of it now, because it's about 10 minutes to make a huge
difference on some of the older, angled-and-mangled imports.

Later,
Guiy