Bluthner rebuild

Greg Granoff gjg2@humboldt.edu
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:28:27 -0800

Mark,
I had a very strange experience when I followed the link to the Luxury =
Piano website.  (By the way, anyone following the link below should make =
sure to turn the 'a' and the 'i' in "pianos" around, or you won't be =
going anywhere).  If you follow the link to the section the title =
"references", the very first piano you will see there is an instrument =
that lives 20 minutes from the university here.  Lo and behold, =
technician referred to is yours truly, and it is indeed a beautiful =
restoration from a cosmetic point of view.  The finish on the case, =
plate, soundboard, etc. is sensational, and workmanship of assembly =
(stringing, etc.) looks first rate.  The testimonial there was obviously =
written after it had only recently arrived and I had just seen it, but =
there is more to the story.  As time went by, the customer began =
complaining about "heaviness" in the action, and indeed, the new Renner =
action has a distinctly *not* Viennese touch, being unpleasantly =
ponderous feeling. I've not weighed it, but it definitely has a problem. =
There are also some problems with action fit relative to blow distance-- =
the hammer line height at rest requires some interesting gymnastics to =
get the action inserted in the cavity, likely due to the low pinblock =
underside.  After about a year the customer complained about "buzzing" =
sounds in the first treble section, and indeed, there was an area of =
about 3-4 notes that had developed a telltale soundboard rattle along =
with a noticeable drop clarity and decay length.  Inspection underneath =
revealed rather poorly repaired rib problems, and several places where a =
business card would be partially inserted between rib and board.  I did =
have to ease sluggish dampers as the testimonial says, but whether =
failing glue joints can be attributed to the climate change (higher =
general humidity, especially in the winter-- though nothing like what =
one finds in other parts of the country), is not at all clear to me.  =
One thing I feel justified in saying: I don't think the soundboard was =
thoroughly restored from a structural standpoint-- it actually looks to =
me as though some stuff underneath that was perhaps in marginal =
condition at the time of restoration was simply ignored.  It just goes =
to show that things aren't always what they appear....

Greg
Greg Granoff   RPT
Humboldt State University
  ----- Original Message -----=20