removing cross beam on a D

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:58:44 -0700

Wim,
	If it will come out, having it out for a while won't cause any problems,
IMO (though this has been a subject of discussion before, and there were
contrary opinions). But really she should use a Steinway L or M for Crumb.
Crumb pieces rarely work well on D's (or B's or A's, for that matter) due
to layout of strings and struts. Reaching to get second partials (touching
nodes half way down the string, as you are describing) is a lot easier on a
shorter piano. Crumb wrote at his piano in his studio. I have been told it
was an L. (There's more discussion along these lines in the archives).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico