removing cross beam on a D

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:16:43 -0800

Wim,

Fred is absolutely right.  String and strut layout is a real problem on the
larger instruments.  I think Crumm actually even specifies use of an "L" -
although, now that I have typed that, it may be that I saw notes written
into music that he used in performance that may not be published elsewhere.

Either way, on a reasonably healthy instrument, pulling the strut on a "D"
will have minimal effect...if it's stuck...as Conrad notes, "it might
actually be doing something."

I am not sure if, from a design-only standpoint, it can rightly be
called "vestgial", however.  I am pretty sure that, had sufficiently cost-
effective casting technology been available, this piece would have been
cast in place long ago.  Folks who know more about casting probably know
better.

Best.

Horace