removing cross beam on a D

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:28:11 -0500

Several years ago we had a pianist that helped herself to removing
this bar.  I was furious and we had a huge argument about it, nearly
resulting in her refusing to perform.  I later contacted Steinway
about this and now have a letter in my files, signed by Michael Mohr,
stating that this should not be done.  While his unofficial position
was that it probably won't hurt anything, Steinway's official stand
is that it should not be removed.  The letter states:

  "Although removing the strut is occasionally practiced, the plate
can be structurally damaged if this strut is under compression which
upon its removal may allow for the plate structure to shift under the
tension of the strings".

I make it very clear in my written policy for prepared piano use that
it will not be removed.  No, it probably will not cause a problem but
it would be a very expensive repair if it did.

>Has anyone ever done this? What effect does it have on stability,
>tuning, stress loads, etc.?

I did not notice any effect on the tuning when it happened.  In this
case, it was easy enough to remove so there could not have been any
tension or compression on it. I have heard of technicians routinely
removing it to make damper replacement easier.

>  If it doesn't have any effect, why is it there?

I can't remember if it was Michael Mohr or someone els that told me
that the strut is there to somehow stabilize the plate and tension
when tilting and moving the piano.

chris

--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.