Kuerti article, part II (long)

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:06:57 -0800

Hi, Jeff,

At 11:53 AM 3/4/2004, you wrote:

>On Thursday, March 4, 2004, at 02:32 PM, Horace Greeley wrote:
>
>>It is from that context that I find, however presently outdated, this
>>article important.  Here is an internationally acclaimed artist who has
>>taken the time (albeit a while back) to carefully think through and
>>present things that might be of help to other pianists...and, for that
>>matter, technicians and presenters alike.
>
>Hi Horace,
>I certainly meant to indicate this in my post.  Perhaps I did not do a
>good job of it.  I completely agree with everything you wrote.  But I was
>also agreeing with Jim's point that it should be taken in context, and not
>necessarily fodder for teaching the novice piano service.

_Absolutely_.  I am reasonably sure that the original intent of the article
was to provide some very basic information to non-technicians.

>>Perhaps it will prove possible to induce either Mr. Kuerti, or someone
>>else of similar stature, to revisit this topic.
>>
>And this as well.  I almost posted this same statement earlier.

I have sent an EM to his management asking that they forward to him a
request to get in touch with either myself or someone else in PTG about
this.  The direct contact information I had for him is dated, and he does
still travel a good deal, so I thought that would be the most direct approach.

One of the things I have had to learn very much the hard way is that the
level of one's personal technique/ability ultimately really does not
matter.  Since Jim (Hi, Jim!) has already invoked George's memory, I'll add
my own bit that I remember as having heard first from him that an expert is
"someone who lives two days travel away and wears a tie".

....Still, those early Imadegawa hammers really were as hard as rocks....

Best.

Horace