Public Domain

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:14:54 EST

In a message dated 3/14/04 1:16:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tcoates1@sio.midco.net writes:
I was one of the
original members of the first listserve (I believe it was private
because Tom McNeil was the human listserve).
Hi, Tim, and colleagues -

Yes, those were the days!  I think it was late 1987 and our CAUT list soon
outgrew the capacity of the relatively primitive e-mail software on our
mainframe computer (!) at State University of New York, Fredonia.  Not sure how
'private' the list was then, but we soon moved to the more modern and user-friendly
hardware and software at Brigham Young University.  I think that would have
been in 1988, 1989 at the latest.  And surely everything we've said on this list
has been 'public' ever since then.

I will go on record as in favor of the simplicity of keeping the list
'self-moderating' just for simplicity's sake.  Seems to work OK for the most part.

- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations