Steinway ringing, was Treble ringing problem

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:38:13 EST

While were on this subject, please allow me to change pianos. Last year I
brought up the problem of a student complaining about a B having too much after
ring. Now one of the piano professors said the new D has too much. I thought it
was the "nature of the beast," but the piano professor claim earlier
Steinways do not have this problem. He claims another piano technician, well known to
this list, at another SEC school, said it has something to do with the alloy
in the damper wire, or something to that effect. (If you know who you are, you
may identify yourself.)

What is the opinion on this? What, if anything, have any of you done to solve
this problem?

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician