Tuning stability

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:17:05 -0500

Jeff -
If you suspect loose bridge pins, are there any that are visually suspect,
such as hairline or larger bridge cracks, or gapping in the wood
surrounding the bridge pin?  Have you taken careful downbearing
measurements to determine the presence or absence of negative front
bearing? Such a condition can induce distortions in string termination,
causing both false beats and tuning instability?  Have you tried tapping
(lightly) strings to bridge?  Also, tapping bridge pins themselves can
sometimes clear up tonal problems. A bit more specific information, such as
area of scale affected, or circumstances in which instability is observed,
might aid in remote diagnoses.

With regard to Chicken Little syndrome, you probably need to make some
choices.   You may want to survey, on your own time, the condition of the
pianos, facilities, and the demands, and present a proposal to the
responsible person or persons.   Based upon the response you  receive, you
need to determine what works for you.  If you continue to receive
inadequate resources to do the kind of work you feel is needed, you
probably need to either do it anyway, chalking it up to gained experience,
or, if you can afford to, walk away from it.  Of course, I'm speaking in
generalities, not knowing anything of your particular situation, but, as
such, the biggest challenge in these circumstances is figuring the
politically adroit way to direct the general communal distress towards
those who have the power to affect a change.   Good luck.

David Skolnik, RPT, CU (currently unaffiliated)