Tuning stability

Tue, 30 Mar 2004 00:51:51 -0500

So, Jeff...

I guess the answer is "NO".

At 09:46 AM 3/25/2004 -0700, Jeff Stickney wrote:

>  Short of restringing, is there anything I can do to help this situation?

The various responses were exhaustively illuminating, and worthy of
implementing, BUT...

As you pointed out, you are in a contract situation, with little money
provided for anything other than tuning.  So here are some questions, for
you and the other contributors:

How many hours would it take to do most of what has been suggested,
including all the follow-up stabilizing?  Otto alluded to this.

How would you propose to bill for the work?  I know Marc Cramer suggested
one approach to appealing for the authorization, but this would seem to
preclude doing the more extensive job, on a close to thirty year old
piano.  This doesn't seem a wise move to me.

How does your success or failure in this effort affect your longer range
goals?  In other words, does success do anything to convince them of the
need for increased resources? Does your super-human effort make you a hero,
or simply set an unreasonable baseline for future expectations? The
discussion reminded me of the thread a few years ago regarding tuning
speed. Just because some of us appeared to be able to perform seemingly
remarkable feats of speed and stamina, didn't, IMO, justify establishing
such as benchmarks.

Some technical questions:

Jeff, you never replied regarding the downbearing measurements.  While I
expect that the range of suggested cures would induce an improvement in
performance, even with a bearing problem, I wonder if the consensus would
be to carry out such measures, or to wait until the larger problem could be
addressed.

Fred and Marc..can you tell me what is accomplished by sanding (or planing)
out the string grooves?  As much as we are cautioned about "over tapping"
the strings to the bridge, it seems it would be a lot easier to do serious
damage in the groove-removal effort.  Likewise, unless the bridge edge has
been mangled, what would be the purpose of renotching?

David Skolnik