Tuning stability

Jeff Stickney jpstickney@montanadsl.net
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:10:10 -0700

David and All,
    Thank you all for your replies.  I have come to the conclusion that,
although I could jump into the restringing and make it work, I would
have to do it for less money than it's worth (including full regulation
and voicing - in two days+??).  I would also, given the amount of money
left in my budget for the year, have to eat a lot of the
tunings/touch-ups over the next week or two.
    David, you ask some good questions.  I would like to think that
doing the work, assuming it is successful, would help me make the point
that the pianos are generating complaints, and we have the technology to
solve the problems - we just lack the budget.  Richard Davenport was
here some 10 years ago to work on the then-new Yamaha CFIII (which no
one likes to play - they prefer a worn out Steinway - aaargh) and at
that time suggested that new bass strings were needed on the Steinway.
It would be the right thing to restring the whole piano (and replace
action parts) - but I saw an opportunity to put my finger in the hole
and solve the worse problems I'm experiencing in the treble.  I've come
to the conclusion that the timing and the money aren't right to do even
that right now.  I will do the regulation and voicing and whatever else
I can think of to reduce unwanted noise, but that's about it.  I put CPL
on the felt and bearing points before my last tuning, and hopefully that
might help with rendering/stability.
    But today, I have a full day of tuning outside of the U - real
money.  Thanks again - I'll be interested to hear others replies to your
questions, David.

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpstickney@montanadsl.net