Tuning stability

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:34:59 -0600

  How would you propose to bill for the work?  I know Marc Cramer suggested
one approach to appealing for the authorization, but this would seem to
preclude doing the more extensive job, on a close to thirty year old piano.
This doesn't seem a wise move to me.

  By now, you've likely read yesterday's post David;

  Finally Jeff, though I've re-read your original question and think our
replies are "on-point," have to tell you, given the instrument you describe,
along with it's age, use and potential, I would be doing a "full
re-stringing."

  So I agree with you.

  Nonetheless, what I was attempting to suggest/illustrate, was to disregard
our notions of (an) institution's perceived ability/inability to prioritize
spending, manage resources, etc. (and all the things that really aren't "our
business") and get right to the point:

  "Your most critical instrument requires major repairs; now."

  "This is the cost, it will take X  time , ... would you like me to
proceed?"

  IOW, serve our employers best by giving them the information they require
to do their job, and that's it.

  With this information in hand, the department head will understand the
piano's current condition is far below their expectations and needs, with or
without the meticulous care of their technician.

  This alone should be a great stress reliever for Jeff.

  (btw, I wouldn't perhaps "appeal" for authorization David. That may give
the false impression the service you "offer" is primarily for "your"
personal benefit, or that somehow you need to "appeal" to them on "their
own" behalf. Afterall, if they decline your service, "they" stand to endure
the sad results alone.)

  In any case, Jeff in his query merely hilites a problem familiar to most
of us; Out of care and good conscience we tend to take on more
responsibility (and stress) for a situation than is appropriately ours.

  You allude to this (David) in another comment:

  How does your success or failure in this effort affect your longer range
goals?  In other words, does success do anything to convince them of the
need for increased resources? Does your super-human effort make you a hero,
or simply set an unreasonable baseline for future expectations?

  Agreed.

  (you may wish to read "Job Security: let's talk; 02/05/03)

  Thanks for raising these questions David and Jeff. They're common issues
in our trade, and have a greatly under-rated ability to affect our work, and
peace of mindt.

  Mark Cramer,
  Brandon University

  PS Jeff, this sounds like a wonderful summer project, I hope it comes
through for you!